Are you planning to install roller blinds but don’t want to drill holes in your wall? And do you want to know how you can achieve this? You’ve come to the right place, for we have researched this question, and we have the answer for you.
You have several options to install roller blinds without drilling holes in your wall. Use any of the following methods to hang your roller blinds without drilling.
- Hook strap
- Tension roller blinds
- Command strips
- Magnetic holders
Let’s talk more about each method above in the sections below.
Roller Blinds: A Steadfast Window Treatment
A roller blind is a type of blind that uses a single piece of fabric to block out light and heat. The fabric wraps around a roller, hence its name. You can roll or unroll a roller blind by pulling a single piece of cable that rotates the roller to retract or extend the fabric.
One side of the cable extends it while the other side retracts it.
What are the benefits of roller blinds?
The biggest benefit of a roller blind is its decorative attribute. It blocks out heat and sun while serving as a décor element of your home. The fabric can have different patterns and colors to match the theme of the room.
Operating them is simple. The single piece of the cable extends or retracts the blinds, and it is easy to figure out which side of the cable to pull to achieve the effect that you want.
Cleaning them is also easy. You can use a moist cloth or a clean rag to remove dust and dirt.
Roller blinds are more durable than traditional blinds. The rollers are made of metal, and the fabric is made of UV-resistant material that does not fade from exposure to sunlight.
How to hang roller blinds without drilling?
There are several reasons why you might not want to drill into your wall to install a roller blind.
The biggest reason could be that you’re renting an apartment, and the landlord forbids drilling for whatever reason. Another possible reason is that you would like to preserve the looks of your drywall.
Moreover, if you have a previously owned older house and are not sure what insulation is installed behind the walls, drilling might not be a good idea. The holes in the wall could release toxic insulation that can affect your health and that of your family.
Here are some ways to install roller blinds in your house without drilling. And, if you're trying to hang blinds over a door, check out this handy post: "How To Hang Blinds On Fiberglass Door Without Drilling Holes?"
Installing Roller Blinds Using Strap Hooks
This installation method is ideal for double-hung windows, hopper windows, casement windows, or awning windows. The idea of this method is to use the window to install a strap hook between the window and the frame.
The advantage of this method is that it is the most secure of all the methods presented here. The disadvantage of this method is that you cannot use it on all types of windows.
- Open your window to create a gap between the top of the window and the window frame.
- Slide a hook strap between the window and the window frame.
- Adjust the length of the strap to get the correct hook height. Tree swing straps are ideal, actually, because it is strong enough to support your roller blinds, and you can easily adjust the length.
- Close the window.
- Hang your roller blinds on the hooks.
Hanging Straps Kit from WILDJUE is available on Amazon through this link.
Installing Tension Roller Blinds
Tension roller blinds have rubber tension pads that grip the sides of the window frame to support the weight of the roller blinds. The advantage of these roller blinds is that you can install them on any type of window as long as it has a wide enough frame that the tension pad can grip.
The disadvantage is that you must match the size of the roller blinds to the size of the window. Thus, it can be tricky or impossible to install one on a window with non-regular measurements.
Here are the easy steps to install one on your window.
- Clean the window frame with a clean cloth dipped in a solution of soap and water. Dust and dirt can negatively affect the ability of the tension pads to grip the frame.
- Dry the window frame.
- Raise the roller blinds to the top of the window frame.
- Adjust the tension pads to grip the window frame.
- Some tension pads have a spring that allows you to compress the tension pad as you raise the roller blinds. The tension pad will grip the sides of the window frame when you release the tension pad.
- Other models are screw types where you rotate a mechanism until the tension pad has a firm grip on the window frame.
- Set the lock to give the tension a better grip.
Skansen Tension Roller Blinds is available on Amazon through this link.
How to install roller blinds using tension rods?
A version of this installation method makes use of tension rods. Tension rods use the same concept but are separate from roller blinds.
This method is useful if you already have regular roller blinds that do not have tension pads. It can apply to the same types of windows as a roller blind with tension pads.
One advantage of this method is that it allows you to use the tension pad installation on a slimmer window frame because tension rods are slimmer than the tension pads on roller blinds.
Install the tension rod on the window frame first, then hang the roller blinds on the tension rod. Make sure that you lock the tension rod in place before you install the roller blinds to avoid slipping or falling.
Amazon Basics Tension Curtain Rod is available on Amazon through this link.
Installing Roller Blinds Using Command Strips
Command strips are adhesive strips with a Velcro-like material that can support wall decorations. This method of installation can be used on any type of window. One advantage is that these adhesive strips do not leave any residue once you decide to remove them.
The disadvantage of this method is that the roller blinds must be on the lighter side when it comes to weight. Heavier roller blinds will need multiple command strips.
- Clean the window. Use a clean cloth dipped in alcohol to clean the window thoroughly. This will remove any dirt and oil that can prevent the command strip from adhering firmly to the window frame.
- Wait until the window frame is dry.
- Peel off the adhesive liner and attach the command strip to the window frame. Press and hold the strips against the window frame for 30 seconds.
- Raise your roller blinds to the strips and mark where the opposite command strip will be on the roller blinds.
- Peel off the adhesive liner and stick them to the roller blinds. Press and hold the strip down for 30 seconds.
- Wait for one to two hours to let the adhesive cure.
- Raise the roller blinds into place and let the Velcro-like surfaces stick to each other.
3M command strips pack is available on Amazon through this link.
How to install roller blinds using magnets?
This method is useful if you have metal windows. Since you’ll be using magnets, this will not be possible on PVC windows.
This will not be possible on roller blinds with non-metallic casing.
- Line up the magnets on the window frame.
- Raise your roller blinds to hang on the magnets.
LOVIMAG Neodymium Disc Magnets are available on Amazon through this link.
There are several methods that you can use to install roller blinds without drilling holes. You can use strap hooks, tension pads, powerful magnets, or command strips to hand a roller blind on your window.