Installing new window coverings, such as blinds or curtains, can help give your bathroom a neat, clean, and more relaxing appearance. Good thing we have already researched which of either curtains or blinds works better in a bathroom setting.
Depending on your preferences, you can use either blinds or curtains in the bathroom. Note that both will provide equally good privacy and light-blocking features. Blinds are easier to clean and more mold-resistant. However, blinds pose more difficult to use as they need frequent adjusting.
It would be best to keep reading if you want to choose wisely. We will discuss below the different factors you should consider before choosing either window treatment. Check every advantage and disadvantage of the two to see which is better.
choosing between blinds and curtains for the bathroom
There are different concerns that most homeowners ask when it comes to selecting the appropriate window decoration and protection, including:
Blinds Vs. Curtains: Privacy
To pick the right window treatment, either blinds or curtains, you must consider the window's orientation and how precisely you must cover it. Both options can provide adequate privacy coverage.
Both window treatments are able to be closed: curtains pulled shut and blinds closing either vertically or horizontally.
You'll want to correctly size the blinds or curtains for your bathroom window so that you ensure the entire area is covered. Additionally, you can select darker or thicker curtains to maximally block the view. Avoid sheer blinds or curtains, as these can be peered through unless layered with non-sheers.
Blinds Vs. Curtains: Light Management
Both blinds and curtains can block the light; it will just depend on the style, material, and design.
Because blinds close either vertically or horizontally, you have ultimate control over just how much light enters the room with just a simple angle adjustment. Additionally, you can raise the blinds to any level or lower them completely to the windowsill.
Curtains, by comparison, are typically either drawn open or pulled closed. Light management can become difficult in between as the curtains always cover the entirety of the window (with the exception of cafe curtains). For ultimate light blockage, you might consider blackout curtains and keep closed.
Get these 100% blackout curtains on Amazon.
Blinds Vs. Curtains: Moisture-resistance
Unfortunately, only one of the two is best regarding moisture, and that is the blinds. Curtains are susceptible to mold and mildew because of dampness, which is always present in a bathroom.
However, before you select what blinds to use, it would be best to ensure that the material is moisture-proof first. Doing so will guarantee you that it will last long.
Blinds Vs. Curtains: Ease of Use
In this case, a bathroom curtain is much easier to utilize and control. You can just easily slide it onto a curtain rod. You can tie back curtains for a permanent style and opt to close them when needed for extra privacy or blocking sunlight.
On the other hand, blinds can sometimes have issues in their functionality or controls. You might encounter them not lifting or rolling up or down smoothly. And if this happens, you will have to fiddle with them for a few minutes, which can be inefficient.
Blind slats could become tilted or dented in a way that does not look appealing or that allows viewing or light to enter. They could require ongoing, small adjustments.
Remember, that one of the things you should prioritize is the material's functionality.
Blinds Vs. Curtains: Cleanliness & Maintenance
Bathroom blinds get this as an advantage. You can clean them as quickly as wiping them with a damp cloth or even just a clean cloth since the blinds alone are already moist.
Curtains are harder to clean because of the accumulation of mold and mildew. They'll also need to be taken down for proper washing and drying, then rehung.
What are the benefits of blinds in a bathroom?
- Allow natural light to create a relaxing and revitalizing atmosphere. You have to ensure enough light inside, especially for activities like grooming and make-up applications.
- One great advantage of blinds is that they are easy to clean. Because of the materials used in producing them, they can withstand moisture and heat. As mentioned above, you can clean blinds as easily as wiping them.
- You can move the blinds around to let in as much light and airflow as possible without sacrificing privacy. In their closed position, blinds block almost all outside light, protecting your privacy.
- Window blinds for a bathroom are a more practical and straightforward alternative to curtains. Unlike curtains, bathroom window blinds don't necessitate any additional hardware. Moreover, with the tailored blinds, you won't need any extra tools to put them up.
- Blinds are cheaper than curtains, especially in custom-made ones. You may find blinds in a wide range of patterns, hues, and materials to suit your taste and the design of your bathroom.
Installing blinds in your bathroom has several advantages, and they are the following:
What are the drawbacks of blinds in bathrooms?
Drawbacks are inevitable in everything, and below are those for roller blinds:
- One of the significant drawbacks of blinds is the possibility of lacking privacy when they are raised.
- A translucent blind will not block light well.
- Another drawback is that blinds tend to blend in, so they are not the best choice if you want to draw attention to your windows.
What Are The Advantages Of Curtains In Bathrooms?
With the following benefits, we can say curtains are great for bathroom use.
- Curtains can be used as window frames, accentuating the view and adding a touch of sophistication to the bathroom. Window coverings range from thin, decorative curtains to thick, functional drapes.
- You may not know this, but curtains can provide warmth in any room during winter, unlike a roller blind.
- When it comes to design criteria, curtains will give you better options, especially regarding styles, textures, or patterns.
- As mentioned above, when it comes to the difficulty of use, curtains are the ones to be the easiest. You can employ it as quickly as sliding it from side to side to achieve its purpose.
What Are The Drawbacks Of Curtains?
Like roller blinds, curtains also have their disadvantages, and they are the following:
- As a result of their larger appearance compared to blinds, curtains tend to make your bathroom or any room seem smaller.
- Mildew, mold, and stains can form on walls, floors, and curtains. It is true, mainly if you use them in rooms where the humidity is high, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Unlike blinds, curtains are hard to clean because of the mold and mildew that accumulate in them. Those things can stain your curtain, which is hard to remove.
How important is fitting when choosing curtains or blinds?
The main reason you are incorporating curtains or blinds in your bathroom is typically for privacy. So, take precise window measurements and remember that a few extra inches of curtain length are preferable to a length that's too short.
Window coverings like blinds or curtains can be custom-made to fit a specific opening. However, if you buy them off the shelf, you might have to settle for a less-than-ideal fit, even though it could save you money.
In addition, you should think about the window's opening mechanism. For example, if the window tilts inward, you'll need to position the blinds or curtains so that you can still open the window by first adjusting them.
Should you match Blinds to Bathroom Style?
Roman blinds or curtains may look great in a highly classic Victorian bathroom. However, these curtains and blinds would stand out horribly in a modern-style bathroom.
When choosing between a curtain or a blind, it would be best to consider your home's overall design. Invest in blinds or curtains that can match any bathroom design if you plan on replacing your current set.
Is it necessary to consider color curtains or blinds?
Instead of picking up anything at the store in the hopes that it will look alright in your bathroom setup, blinds or curtains should be an essential component of your color scheme.
It would be great to incorporate curtains or blinds with light colors and simple patterns in your bathroom if you wish the ambiance to be serene.
In addition, if you want to alter the design of your bathroom set ultimately every few years, curtains or blinds in a hue of cream or white without any evident pattern will complement or match most wall paint and accessory hues. It is the ideal option to prevent wasting money.
Among the two, blinds are the best option you should choose for your bathroom. Obviously, the advantages of binds outweigh the benefits of curtains.
Thanks for reading the post! If you wish to continue reading, check these out!